Lotus stem recipes are a delicacy in Kashmir. It is cooked as independent dish or in combination with other vegetables. We also add it to certain non-veg dishes typically fish.
It is known by various names in India. Common names are Kamal Kakdi in Hindi, Nadru in Kashmiri, Bhein in Some northern parts and Thamarai Thandu in South. In some parts of India its considered quite sacred and offered in Puja as well. Because of this it is also known as Sacred Lotus Stem or simply sacred stem.
- Lotus stem is a great source of Vitamin C, which helps boost the immunity of a person and fight viral infections.
- Lotus stems are rich in fiber and hence quite beneficial to our digestive system and helps in constipation.
- Being rich in fiber helps metabolism and hence promotes weight loss.
- It also helps in lowering Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar levels.
- Lotus Stem are good anti-oxidant and beneficial for the health of our skin and also prevents hair loss.
- Lotus stem is rich in Calcium and helps to strengthen our bones.
- It is a good source of anti-oxidants.
- Lotus Stems are good source of essential minerals like Zinc, Copper and Iron.
- They are also considered beneficial to our respiratory system.
Please visit our videos for some mouth watering recipes on Lotus Stems.